Raptor Migration count in Nepal – Day 3

 Greeting everyone from the foothills of Himalayas!!!

The official count of raptor migration study begun from September 15, this is first time in the history of Nepal and will be continue through December 2012. This year we have experiencing a long monsoon and rain is continue since the beginning of our official count. If we see the rainfall record in the history of Nepal (started to record since 1965) the rainfall in September never beat  over 200 mm however this year 2012 it is already 500 mm till 17th September. The forecast says the rain will stop till this evening.  The temperature is going down little by little (it was 19 degree C on 15th and now 17.5degree on 18th morning). All the mountains are covered with thick clouds.  Now (15:00), I can see only white outside from my window.  I am waiting to the weather and once it is clear up then I will head up to official watch site. On 16th September rain stopped for three hour (12:00 to 15:00) and got the opportunity to keep my first step for this season count in the watch site. The activity was not much. Couple of Black Eagles and single Black Kite performed a nice display. I believed these all were local birds. Besides these Raptors, around 10 Barn Swallows and same number of Alpine Swifts broke the loneliness in the sky.   
  
Good internet facility is not available in the agriculture centre where I am staying. I am using the SKY data service card and experiencing the weak signal. Today it is working better.  I am utilizing the good time by working on the report (bird trade study), now it is almost complete and going to submit this by tomorrow 19th Sept. 

I will keep on posting in my blog.

Wait! Wait!! Wait!!! Could you please guess when the FIRST Steppe Eagle will come here in Khare?   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GPS telemetry supporting to investigate threats to endangered steppe eagle (Aquila nipalensis) and other raptors

Story: Nepal Bearded Vulture trip

We are Counting: Big Migration of Eagle on the Way